Frequently asked questions(FAQ)

First, submit your application online here.

Please allow 7 – 10 business days for your application to be processed. You will then receive a packet in the mail to fill out and return with the required documentation and items to finish the application process.

A waiting period may be required due to unit-availability. Wait times vary by size and location.

At this time, we do not have emergency housing available. 

Area Emergency Housing Agencies:

Public Housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public Housing comes in all sizes and types from scattered single-family houses to high-rise apartments for elderly families. There are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units manage by some 3,300 Housing Agencies (HAs). The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers federal aid to local housing agencies (HAs) that manage the housing for low-income residents at rates they can afford. HUD furnishes technical and professional assistance in planning, developing, and managing these developments. (

If you are offered a house or apartment and accept it, you will have to sign a lease with the housing authority. You may have to give the housing authority a security deposit. You and the NHA representative should go over the lease together. This will give you a better understanding of your responsibilities as a tenant and the housing authority’s responsibilities as a landlord.

Aside from qualifying for housing, preference is giving to those displaced due to a natural disaster.

Rent is determined based on household income. Typically, renters pay about 30% of adjusted gross income, or 10% of gross household income. Rent is calculated in accordance with HUD regulations.

Government-issued photo IDs must be submitted by everyone in your household 18 and older.

All members of your family are required to have a Social Security card, if they have a Social Security number. If you cannot find your card or you’ve never had a Social Security number, a receipt showing that you have requested a replacement Social Security card will be accepted. If someone in your family does not have a Social Security number, a signed certification must be completed to verify they have no number.

Birth certificates must be submitted by everyone in your family. Receipts will be accepted to show that you have purchased a replacement certificate if you cannot find or do not have one.